Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cold-Brew Iced Coffee Experiment

Today I decided to try my hand at cold-brewing a pitcher of iced coffee! 

I wanted to start with the ultimate awesome coffee, so I got a pound over at Baruir's (post about Baruir's coming soon!), the most awesome coffee in Sunnyside!

(why, yes, I do want the best!)

Baruir's roasts their beans in-house in a giant, antique coffee roaster which makes the whole neighborhood smell like burnt toast on a daily basis.

Their coffee is amazing. I started with a pound of Colombian French Roast ($8.99/lb) coarse-ground.


I looked up the cold-brew process and it's very simple: 4 parts water, 1 part coffee!

I filled a pitcher (from 99cent Treats, the best neighborhood 99cents store!) with 8 cups of water and 2 cups ground coffee and stirred it up! Then I left it "brewing" for about 22 hours!

(let it brew!)

Cold brewing preserves about 90% of the coffee's flavor and caffeine, but only about 15% of the harsh acids, which is why, although time consuming, it is a great way to make awesome coffee!

After the brewing was complete, I used a very fine strainer and ran the coffee through twice until it was clear of all of the unwanted sludge.

(sludge-b-gone!)

I filled a glass with some coffee ice cubes I had made the day before (essential for enjoying proper iced coffee!) and added about a third of a glassful of the coffee "concentrate." It's delicious as is, but it's strong!

(coffee ice cubes to keep it strong!)

I like mine "light," as they say here in NYC, and so I filled the cup up with milk and enjoyed a really, really amazing cup of homemade cold-brew iced coffee!!!

YUM!


1 comment: