Monday, July 4, 2011

Salt & Fat


This Spring my roommate texted me a picture of the Salt & Fat sign before it opened and I was pretty much pumped.

How could this go wrong? And more importantly, how many different ways can it go right?

Check it out:

Opened just a few months ago by actually-known-chef (something different for Queens) Daniel Yi, this restaurant seriously lives up to its name. Each table gets a bag of popcorn that has been freshly popped in bacon fat. popped in bacon fat. popped in bacon fat. 

it was amazing. 

We decided to stay in the Salt and Fat theme and get Butternuts Porkslap Pale Ale ($5) to sip.

(slap it)

They offer several "small plates" which really aren't all that small in the end. My bf and I were both starving upon entry, and we were perfectly full from 4 dishes. We started with Lobster salad ($9) which was pretty good ( I am a bad judge of this because I don't really like cold lobster....). The light, citrus-y salad part of it was nice.

Then they brought out Short Rib Buns ($8) which were little heavenly baos with tender short ribs, pickled cucumber and apricot mustard. The actual bao itself was also awesome. 

(hard-to-see Short Rib Buns!)

Next came the Scallops ($10) and I nearly died. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I had never had scallops before......! I am not a fan of oysters and clams and somehow scallops got caught up in the mix. But I have had a sneaking suspicion lately that I might love them. Anyway....

I literally had a serious out-of-body experience while eating these. Scallops RULE! And these scallops were particularly perfect and served with tangy beet salad and the most delicious carrot puree. The only downside was that the shape of the dish made it difficult for me to get every morsel of carrot puree off of it without looking like a crazy person. (which I did anyway.)

(omfg Crack & Cheese lit by candlelight)

The grand finale is probably their most famous dish, the "Crack" & Cheese ($9) which is completely ridiculous. I mean, fried potato gnocchi with Bechamel cheese sauce and big chunks of bacon. It's crazy. It was amazing.

But really, nothing could compare to the scallops!! They should really put the scallops IN the Crack & Cheese (which we suggested to the waitress, who thought we were weird).

After dinner we received complementary Korean yogurt drinks. It was kind of hilarious.

(hmmmmm... sugar-y Korean yogurt)

I don't really plan on going here all that often, mostly cause the meal's a little heavy and it gets pretty pricy when you want to eat everything on the menu... but it is definitely the place in the hood to take someone (or yourself, ain't no shame) for a special occasion!

Salt and Fat
41-16 Queens Boulevard
Sunnyside, NY 11104
(718) 433-3702
Hours: Tues-Sun 6pm-11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment